Working from home has become the need of the hour. I have always been an advocate of working from home. But, I was having a discussion with one of my friends, and we started talking about all the ways it can work negatively.
Here are some of the adverse effects of working from home:
- You’ll miss out on being in direct contact with your employees and your co-workers.
- Working in an office presents lots of opportunities for socialization, which may have more benefits than one might think. Being cooped up in your home office may lead to social isolation, which has been known to have horrible effects on mental and physical health.
- If your home is filled with all sorts of distractions, it may be less than ideal to do all your work in your home office. People who have children or live in neighborhoods with lots of children may find it extremely difficult to be productive at home.
- If you’re a diligent employee, you may lose track of time often, which means you’ll be working too much sometimes. Overworking can have disastrous consequences on the human body, and having a space for work in your home can lead to overworking quite often.
- Work today is technologically demanding, and it may be difficult to afford a set-up that lets you work as effortlessly as you will be able to in a proper office. The proper parts to build an efficient home office might be expensive or energy-consuming, in which case you’ll end up making a sizable dent in your wallet.
- Having a home office can make it easier for you to work away from your office, but it may tempt you to work from home more often than not. And while you may get the exact same or even more work done at home than in your office, your co-workers or employers may assume that you’re slacking at work and not putting in as much effort into the tasks as the rest of the people you work with.
If you are working from home or you have a home office, make sure to still get out and socialize. You don’t want to stay cooped up for long. Also, make sure to have a set time of working, so that you do not end up overworking. Having a work-life balance is difficult when you work from home, so you have to be more vigilant with your time policing.