Roulette: A Guide To Understanding This Cult Classic
Whether you are new or have played many casino games, you have probably heard about Roulette. It is a classic casino game that is enjoyed by all. Its history dates to as far back as the seventeenth century. Roulette is a simple game yet it has managed to hold the attention of players for centuries.
Its popularity is not limited to land-based casinos, online casinos are equally filled with roulette lovers. This classic game offers players a range of betting options, all of which are based on a wheel and a spinning ball. There are different variations of Roulette that are played with tweaks to the traditional rules, but the basics are still the same.
- The Roulette wheel contains 16 red numbers and 16 black numbers, ranging from 1 to 36. On top of the wheel, there are also one or two green zero slots, which gives the casino its house edge.
- The croupier or dealer will then spin the wheel and allow the ball to rotate until it lands on a number after the players have stated their chosen bets.
- Except for the wheel, there’s also a table which features the numbers and several additional sectors on which you can place bets.
- When the wheel stops spinning, the players either win or lose depending on the number the ball lands on.
Some of the most popular variations of the traditional Roulette include:
- European (single zero) roulette: In this version, there is just one green zero.
- American (double zero) roulette: In this version, there are two zeros – which are identified as ‘0’ and ‘00.’
Because of this, the American version offers players a less favorable house edge.
There are also different types of bets that can be placed, knowing about what hands to play is important to make an educated decision. You can place your bet on a single number or on different groups of numbers. There are many betting combinations – all of which will bring you different odds for winning and different payouts. This basically means that the more numbers you bet on, the bigger your chances are for a win and the lower the payouts are that the game offers.
There are three types of bet in Roulette:
- Inside Bets
- Outside Bets
- Announced Bets (This one is featured only in select variants of roulette and is more advanced than the other two)
Inside bets are the bets you place on the numbers themselves on the roulette table that range from 0 to 36 – odd or even, red or black, 1-18 or 19-36, columns, and dozens.
- Betting on Red or Black – Bet on the colour of the winning number.
- Betting Odd or Even – Bet on whether the winning number will be odd or even.
- Betting on 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 – Bet on whether the winning number will be low (lower than 19) or high.
- Betting on Dozens – Bet on one of the three dozen that are found on the layout of the table.
- Betting on Columns – Bet from which of the three columns will the winning number be from.
Outside bets are the bets you place on the other sectors that are outside the number field featured on the roulette table.
Now that you know how Roulette works and what the basic bets are, you can be placed, let’s talk stakes. Speaking of stakes, you should take into account what you know about the game, how much experience you have, the amount you are willing to spend, and the strategy that you’re about to adopt.
This will help you choose a game with betting limits that fit your need because each roulette game has its own betting limits which differ for the various types of bets.