This whole lockdown and quarantine situation have made us chefs, bakers, painters, writers, and whatnot. And since we are mastering to make everything at home, then why not ice creams!
So here are three recipes for you to make ice cream at home.
Tin Roof Ice Cream
For this delicious recipe by chef David Lebovitz, the ingredients needed are,
- 3/4 cup of whole milk
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Four large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Chocolate-Covered Peanuts
- Fudge Ripple
- First of all, warm the milk, sugar, salt, and 1/2 a cup of the cream in a medium saucepan. Now, scrape the flavorful vanilla seeds from the bean and add them, along with the pod, to the hot milk mixture. Cover it off, remove it from the heat, and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Now, reheat the mixture. Pour in the remaining 1 cup of cream into a large bowl and put a mesh strainer on top. Take another medium-sized bowl, and whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm vanilla-infused mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. After that, scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Keep stirring the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula until it thickens and coats the spatula. Make sure the mixture doesn’t get stuck at the bottom. Pour it through the strainer and stir it into the cream and let it cool.
- Now, remove the vanilla bean, wipe it clean of any egg bits, and add it back to the mixture. Stir the vanilla and put it in to refrigerate.
- Next, remove the vanilla bean and freeze the ice cream in an ice cream maker.
- Once your ice cream has frozen garnish with chopped peanut and add the fudge ripple on top.
Your ice cream is ready to be served!
Vegan Banana Ice Cream
This is a straightforward recipe, and you can make this ice cream real quick. The ingredient you need is,
- 4 large very ripe or frozen bananas
- For fresh bananas: First, peel the bananas and then arrange them as a single layer on a baking sheet lined by parchment paper. Now, freeze until they are firm for at least 2 hours or, if possible, overnight in a refrigerator.
- For frozen bananas: Puree the contents in a food processor for about 6–8 minutes, until a creamy consistency is reached. Now, put the mixture in an airtight container and freeze.
Your banana ice cream is ready for scooping! (The minions would have gone crazy for this one)
Blueberry–Chia Seed Jam Ice-Cream
For this delightful treat, you would need,
- 3 cups fresh (or frozen, thawed) blueberries
- Two teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Three tablespoons (or more) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- As a first step, put the lemon zest, maple syrup, blueberries, and lemon juice into a medium-sized saucepan and bring them to a simmer over medium heat and keep stirring it occasionally. After about 5 minutes, you will notice that the blueberries are beginning to burst.
- Now, using a spoon mash half of the berries, such that their juice is released and after that, bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, for about 5–10 minutes until the liquid is reduced to half its volume.
- Next, remove the mixture from heat and add maple syrup according to your taste. Then bring it back to boil, and add the chia seeds to it. Stir until the seed grains soften in about a minute or two. Let the mix cool completely and then put it into the freezer.
Your creamy, rich blueberry jam ice cream is waiting for you!
Bring out your inner creativity and unleash the ice cream maker in you today!