Pyramid Drinking Game – How To Play, Rules & More
Have you ever been at a slightly boring party and wanted to liven things up with a game? We’ve got the perfect drinking game for you if you answered yes! The pyramid drinking game puts beer pong and drunk Jenga to shame, and it is the perfect game to play when you’ve got a big group of people to join in.
People love to play this game because it allows them to use their brains and think a little before taking their next drink, all while having a great time. All you need for this game is a deck of cards, your favourite alcohol, a tiny bit of patience, and a group of willing friends.
In this article, we will walk you through an explanation of the game. We’ll be covering the rules, setting up the game, how to play it, and what goes into challenging your fellow players.
Let’s take a closer look!
About Pyramid Drinking Game
It’s worth noting that if you don’t have four or more people to play this game, then you probably won’t enjoy it as much as you would if there were only a small number of people. The Pyramid drinking game lets you use your favorite deck of cards differently than you usually do!
The objective of this game is to make people drink a ton of alcohol by guessing the cards that you think they are holding.
You can play different versions of this game, but it is essential to remember that your game must have a dealer no matter which version you play.
Now, let’s look at the rules and how to play this game.
Things You Will Need to Play
Here is a list of the things you will need to play this game, as mentioned in the introduction.
A deck of cards
The deck of cards is crucial for this game. You need the cards for two reasons. The cards help you form the pyramid that makes up the game, and two, every player must also get a few cards each. It would be best to remove the joker cards before you start playing this game because they are not allowed.
The alcohol of your choice
It probably goes without saying that you need alcohol for a drinking game. If you’re on a budget, then beer works wonderfully well. However, if you would like to play the game with more potent drinks, then whiskey or rum work just as well as beer.
A group of people
As we mentioned earlier in the article, you will need a large group of people to play the pyramid drinking game. It is more fun to play the game with a big group. Additionally, the game needs a minimum of four people to play.
To make playing the game more accessible and the cleanup after less stressful, we recommend you pour your drinks into plastic cups.
Pyramid Drinking Game Rules
The pyramid drinking game might seem a little confusing at first, but once you get the hang of how it works, you’ll be playing it at every party!
Here’s a list of the rules of the game.
- Every person playing the game gets dealt four cards.
- Once each player gets their cards, the dealer must flip over one card at the bottom of the pyramid.
- After flipping the card, the rest of the players must place one of their cards on the flipped card only if the cards match. For example, if the flipped card was the queen of hearts, you must put another queen card or a card from the heart’s suit.
- If your card matches the flipped card on the table, then you can choose another player who has to take a drink.
- The rows of cards in the pyramid have different numbers of drinks attached to them. For instance, the fifth layer of the pyramid means that each player takes one drink, the fourth layer means each player takes two drinks, and so on. However, it is essential to remember that the players can only drink if their cards match the ones in the pyramid.
Here’s how to set up the game.
The dealer must shuffle the deck of cards and place them face down in the shape of a pyramid on the floor or coffee table. You can choose the number of levels the pyramid has depending on the number of people playing. Each level in the pyramid has one more card than the next. We’d recommend a six-five-four-three-two-one level pyramid for beginner-level players. The dealer must also give each player four cards.
How to Play The Pyramid Drinking Game
Now, let’s look at how to play this game! Even though it might sound confusing, we can assure you that you’ll be able to figure it out much more quickly than you think.
- As we mentioned in the rule section of this article, each person playing the game gets dealt four cards.
- After everyone gets their cards, the person who is the dealer must flip over one card at the bottom of the pyramid.
- Once the dealer has flipped the card, the remaining players must tell each other to take a drink if the card in their hand matches the card that the dealer just flipped. For instance, if the flipped card was the three of diamonds, you must have another three-card or a diamond card.
- To take this game to the next level, you can also lie by pretending to have one of the cards that were just flipped and telling someone else to take a drink. However, there is a slight catch! If the other player believes your bluff, they will drink. If they think you’re lying and call you out, you will have to take double the amount of drinks, depending on the level of the pyramid you’re on.
- Now that you’ve figured out how to play this game, you can continue to play it by flipping over the remaining cards and drinking more alcohol as you get through the other levels on the pyramid.
- If you want to elevate your game experience even further, here’s what you need to do. After the dealer has given each player four cards, make every player memorize the cards they have.
- Once each person has memorized their cards, make them lay their cards face down on the table.
- Then, the dealer must flip over the first card, and each player must try and remember which of their cards matches the one that was just flipped. If their card is correct, they don’t have to drink, but if they are bluffing or get the wrong card, they must drink double the amount!
Challenging a player
If you want to challenge a player, you can do so by making them drink the number that the level requires. For example, if you’re nearing the top of the pyramid, you can challenge someone to drink four drinks, but you do so without flipping the card. If the card is correct, they have to drink, but if the card is wrong, then you have to drink!
In this article, we walked you through an explanation of how the pyramid drinking game works. Even though the game can seem complex and confusing, we can assure you that it is fun and easy to play once you get the hang of things!