For years, the Smoked Old Fashioned has been among the most popular drinks on bar and restaurant menus, especially in the fall and winter, when the smokey, woodsy tones are most appealing.
The smoked variant offers a new taste profile without detracting from the already wonderful Old Fashioned.
We will tell you all about the top 10 best-smoked drink recipes!!
Top 10 Best Smoked Drink Recipes: Mix & Savor!
1. Smoke Break
Smoky tastes are added to drinks in a variety of ways.
It starts with a smoky mezcal or peaty scotch base, and you’ll be well on your way. Try a cocktail smoker if you truly want to introduce smoke to the party. These devices burn wood chips and deliver a jet of smoke into a glass or decanter, which can mix with your drink’s liquid components.
- 1 tablespoon cherrywood chips
- two ounces Special Reserve W.L. Weller bourbon
- 1 cup cream sherry
- Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, 1/2 ounce
- 2 slashes of Spiced cherry bourbon-barrel-aged bitters from Woodford Reserve
- 1 teaspoon Angostura bitters
- Dark chocolate as a garnish
- Dried black cherries for garnish
- Add smoke to a glass decanter with a smoking pistol and cherrywood chips, then cover the top of the decanter to catch the smoke.
- Combine the bourbon, cream sherry, vermouth, bitters, and ice in a mixing glass. Stir until well-chilled.
- Strain the contents into the prepared decanter, then cap it to allow the drink to interact with the smoke.
- Allow it to sit until the desired smokiness is achieved.
- Pour over one big ice cube into a rock glass.
- Serve alongside a plate of dark chocolate and dried black cherries.
2. Smoke On The Water
Christina Basham, owner and lead creative of Bubbles + Agave Creative, designed this tropical, spiked twist on hot cider to connect summer and fall flavors. It has a smokey, sweet, and spicy flavor. Don’t forget the apple cider vinegar, which adds a burst of acid to wake up the palate. This recipe serves 12 people at once.
- 1 medium peeled and sliced mango
- 1 quart apple cider
- 1 34th cup Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve (or another Speyside scotch)
- 7 oz. Dark Pumpernickel Rye (or any rye whiskey) from Middle West Spirits
- 6 ounces spiced syrup
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange bitters
- Garnish with orange wheels, star anise or pepper pods, and cinnamon sticks.
- Combine the mango and apple cider on high heat in a slow cooker.
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to infuse.
- Reduce the heat to low and mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Allow for 5 to 10 minutes to mix.
- Pour into punch glasses and top with orange wheels, star anise or pepper pods, and cinnamon sticks to serve.
Also Read: Crafting Perfect Rum Mixers: 10 Best Drink Mixers
3. Bourbon Tucson
This old-fashioned riff at famed restaurant TMACS in the heart of Walla Walla in Washington state’s wine region gets its smoky undertones from a double dose of ice created with cherrywood-smoked water.
The cubes are mixed with the other components to cool and dilute the cocktail, and the combination is poured over a smokey cube for good measure.
- 2 1/2 ounces straight Kentucky bourbon
- 2 dashes Aperol 1/2 ounce Bitters rosemary cocktail spice
- Cubes of smoked ice
- Garnish with a sprig of dehydrated rosemary.
- Dehydrated orange wheel as a garnish
- Pour all of the ingredients into a mixing glass filled with ice and swirl until well cold.
- Pour into an Old Fashioned glass filled with smoked ice cubes.
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig and an orange wheel dehydrated.
4. Rum And Smoke
The Rum & Smoke is part of a polarizing smoked cocktail trend. Some dismiss smoked beverages as a passing trend, but there’s a reason cocktail establishments worldwide continue to burn rosemary and sage and put them beneath glass covers. When done properly, smoking a cocktail provides a delectable effect.
- 1/2 oz. aged rum
- Oloroso sherry, 3/4 ounce
- Tempus Fugit Gran Classico bitter liqueur, 1/4 ounce
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup with smoked rosemary
- Garnish with a sprig of flamed rosemary.
- Combine the rum, sherry, Gran Classico, and smoked rosemary simple syrup in a mixing glass with ice and swirl until well-chilled.
- Pour into a rock glass filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of flamed rosemary.
- Before serving, cover with a glass dome and set aside for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cocktail is fully smoked.
While the Revenant is inspired by the Boulevardier (a whiskey-based Negroni variant), it does not use Campari or vermouth. Instead of vermouth, Chinato is used, a fortified and aromatized wine flavored with quinine, the same component that gives tonic water its distinct bitterness.
- 2 dashes Fee Brothers Aztec chocolate bitters
- 2 Cardamom bitters by Fee Brothers
- 1-ounce bourbon Blanton’s
- 1 ounce Chinato Cocchi Barolo
- 1 ounce Dry Curaçao Pierre Ferrand
- Fill an empty Turkish coffee pot with hot water.
- Add the Aztec chocolate bitters and cardamom bitters as it starts to steam.
- When it starts to smoke, invert a cooled snifter over the top of the pot to catch the smoke, then rapidly cover it with a coaster.
- Combine the bourbon, chinato, and dry curaçao in a mixing glass filled with ice and whisk until thoroughly chilled.
- Remove the prepared glass’s coaster and pour the drink into it.
Also Read: 19 Drinks and Cocktails Named after Movies
6. Smoked Bloody Mary
The Bloody Mary is a popular beverage frequently linked with being a hangover cure. This one has a modern twist and requires some specific equipment, but it can also be built simply using more classic methods! You can use a smoking pistol for this recipe.
- A smoking pistol (most people use a Breville) and sawdust made from wood
- Cocktail shaker (if you’re using a smoking gun)
- 1.5 ounces vodka
- Tabasco or a comparable spicy sauce
- Smoked bacon rasher
- A celery spear
- Smoked salt
- black pepper cracked
- Sauce with Worcestershire sauce
- Tobacco juice
- Combine the ice, vodka, and tomato juice in a highball glass to make your drink.
- Stir in a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce and a couple of dashes of Tabasco.
- Garnish with a crispy rasher of smoked streaky bacon and a celery stick, then season with smoked salt and ground cracked black pepper.
7. Smoked Espresso Martini
As a refined, punchy drink, the Espresso Martini is quickly becoming a club and bar classic. Again, you need to ‘backyard’ it and add some smokiness to give it the complexity.
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 regular espresso shot
- Martini glass with ice Cocktail shaker Smoking pistol
- Fill your cocktail shaker halfway with ice, then add the remaining liquid components.
- The smoking pistol will then be required to fill the shaker with smoke. If you use this approach, be VERY CAREFUL with the liquid smoke. You simply need a few drops.
- After you’ve added your smoke, place the shaker cover on top and shake violently for 30 seconds. Pour into a martini glass.
Also Read: Manhattan Vs. Old Fashioned Cocktail: What’s the Difference?
8. Smoked Gin And Tonic
The beauty of this cocktail is that there are so many variants to try, using different Gins and tonics. We’ve included the precise Gin and Tonic variation that works best for this recipe, but if you can’t locate them, use a plain London dry gin and experiment with alternative tonics.
- 1.5 oz. whisky glass ice
- Mint leaf sprigs
- Cut your watermelon into 34″ slices and cook over a hot charcoal grill for 3 minutes or until grill marks appear and a little caramelization appears.
- Fold a couple of mint leaves in half and massage between your fingers in a short, heavy-bottomed glass to release the fragrant oils in the plant.
- Add one grilled watermelon cube and softly smash it against the glass with a spoon to release some flavor before adding another. This one should not be crushed.
- Add gin and tonic water, then gently whisk to integrate the flavors.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
9. The Deputy’s Dilemma
Another cocktail to freshen your mornings. The tanginess is just perfect to give you the taste of the Caribbean.
- 1 oz. Caribbean dark rum
- 12-ounce elderflower syrup
- 1 cup alcoholic ginger beer (rather than ginger ale)
- a pair of mint sprigs
- a lime wedge
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Blowtorch for the kitchen
- Glass for highballs
- Smoked ice
- Put a couple of mint leaves, a teaspoon of brown sugar, and a slice of lime in a highball glass. Muddle everything together (essentially, smash it all together in the bottom of the glass with the end of a rolling pin).
- Fill the glass with a big cube of smoked ice, or use regular ice instead. Then, pour in the rum, elderflower syrup, and ginger beer to taste.
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig and smolder the top leaves with a blowtorch or lighter. The scent will enhance the flavor if you serve this cocktail while it is still burning.
10. Smoked Old Fashioned
Old Fashioned drinks are whiskey-forward and often served with bourbon. Smoking gives them a little bit extra. The process of smoking a drink is equally fascinating to watch. It improves the presentation. So impress your guests at your next gathering with a Smoked Old Fashioned!
- Smoked Ice
- 12 tbsp Smoked Honey
- 1.5 ounces bourbon
- 12 ounce sugar syrup
- a few dashes of orange bitters
- 1 grilled orange slice
- Whisky glass or old-fashioned glass
- Try halving a lemon and grilling it cut side down over charcoal to slightly sear it, then squeezing it over a charcoal-grilled chicken.
- After combining the bourbon and syrup over ice, thoroughly whisk to blend, then add a couple of drops of orange bitters. Most people like orange bitters over other bitters, but if you can’t find it, Angostura bitters is a good substitute and is widely available.
- Pour in your smoked honey. Don’t forget to remove the honey for this stage since it can thicken when it hits the ice.
- Mix one more completely, then add your ice back to the glass, swirl it, and garnish with your caramelized orange slice. You can add it to the glass’s rim or the drink itself.
Also Read: Panty Dropper Cocktail Recipe: Ingredients, Nutrition & Instructions
We have come to an end!! You can now try and savor all your favorite drinks at the comfort of your home or even to impress your friends!!